The diary of a .NET Developer, working on an unlaunched startup project. Also, I live and work in Southern Oregon.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lost Developer Time

I started adopting NHibernate on my current .NET project. In other words I've outgrown Linq-to-Sql.

I have been crawling through many blogs looking for a little advice on testing nhibernate mappings and implementing the Repository pattern etc, and it dawned upon me:

All the helpful blog posts and articles about NHibernate were written between 2005 and 2007.

Am I really that late to the game? The answer is of course, YES!

I took a brief look at NHibernate back in early 2006 but and I intentionally avoided it at all costs. Please understand: I used to work at a job where the only priority was is getting done fast (at the expense of quality). Being under constant pressure to finish projects fast, I naturally fell to using tools that supported this type of programming. The two things Microsoft has are Linq-to-Sql and Webforms.

These tools appear to make it life bearable,but over time you pay for it in the long run. You end up making crap code but launching it anyway, then having to deal with it while it runs in production.

Things are different now. I'm my own boss and I make all the rules. So, I declare the number one priority is quality.

I feel like this part of my development career is behind me and I'll try to avoid ever working under conditions where quality is ignored in such extreme ways.

I'm very curious to see how long I stay developing in Visual Studio Land. Although, my recent use of Resharper and NHibernate might change this attitude.

NOTE: I revised this post on 2/26/2009 at 1:33pm

No comments:

Post a Comment