The diary of a .NET Developer, working on an unlaunched startup project. Also, I live and work in Southern Oregon.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Vista Sidebar Gadgets are HTML pages!




Yep, you heard me right, the vista sidebar gadgets are tiny html pages with images and JScript (aka javascript).  

Even the clock app is a simple background image with two clock hands as images.

They do have a gadget API which can rotate images. This is how they achieve the nice animation on the clock, for example.








You can browse the source code for every gadget that comes with Vista by going here:

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\

 


I was amazed when I found this out!  For some reason I assumed they were fancy WPF apps.

If you're interested you can read more on msdn.

No comments:

Post a Comment